FCTB028: Celebrate and Honor Yourself
[smart_track_player url=”http://traffic.libsyn.com/fromcaterpillarstobutterflies/FCTB028_-_Celebrate_and_Honor_Yourself.mp3″ social=”true” social_twitter=”true” social_facebook=”true” social_gplus=”true” ]
My twin sister graduated with a Doctorate in Education, a truly big achievement, and she decided to host a big party to celebrate that.
This made me devote this episode on celebrating our accomplishments no matter how big or small – celebrating all the things we’ve done, and what we’ve gone through in our journey. Lisa Nichols said that what gets celebrated gets repeated, and I think this is reason enough for everyone to honor our journey and efforts towards our vision and goals.
Some of the points raised in this episode include:
- Why I initially questioned the need to throw such a big party where our family and relatives converged – with balloons, banners, cakes, the works (0:51)!
- A surprise that got me bending over backward to execute, which drove me to ask myself why I don’t do or buy the same things for myself (1:45).
- The need to take time to celebrate ourselves, and not wait for big things or moments to do so (4:35).
- Why a mindset that we still have so far to go and so much needed to accomplish prompts us to compare with others, feel inadequate with what we have, and keep us from going when we’re already 3 feet from gold (6:14).
- A story of a 4-hour drive to Dallas where I had to borrow my sister’s car made me ponder on the reluctance of other people to celebrate their wins to protect the feelings of people they love and prevent others from feeling inferior (10:40).
- How shining your light can improve your feelings, disposition, confidence and motivation, why these positive experiences must not be denied from ourselves, and how, in turn, it benefits those who come behind us (13:00).
- The need for things in our lives to be aligned with whatever point of our lives we’re in, and honoring that our satisfying our needs – which can be through material things – can serve as a celebration of our growth, and allows us to show up better and give better (15:00).
- The story behind the moniker Modest Charlene and why I encourage people not to be too modest and instead celebrate their victories (18:52).
- Identifying areas that aren’t congruent in your life, and reasons why you’re holding back from celebrating (22:10).
How do you celebrate and honor yourself? It doesn’t matter if you do it in an intimate or grandiose manner, the important thing is your ability to give yourself a pat on the back for what you’ve done and reached. Doing so gives us positive reinforcement to do more and achieve more – and this ensures personal growth.
I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences on this episode’s topic. Share them in the comments section or email me directly at email@example.com.
You can show your support by subscribing to the podcast via Patreon and get first dibs to episodes and other exclusive content. You can also find the show on iTunes, Soundcloud, Stitcher, GooglePlay, and Podbean – kindly leave the podcast a rating and review on the platform you’re listening to so we can reach more people and move up the rankings.
Thank you for listening and supporting From Caterpillars to Butterflies. Until next time!