Today’s episode embodies everything that I stand for – this podcast and blog, my commitment to continuous growth and transformation, my calling as a coach, and my own experiences as a person.
The caterpillar is a very good reminder that we are not supposed to stay the same and we are meant to grow in every aspect of our lives. If you’ve been following the podcast, you’d know that I have gone through a transformation which prompted me to take this path where I guide other women towards their growth and transformation towards the best version of themselves.
It is that process, or life cycle, that I would like to zero-in on in this episode, where I talked about:
- How an unfulfilled job and unhappy life became the trigger that led me to real estate investing, wealth building and personal growth (1:40).
- How real estate investing built me up then let me down, and how that ride gave me the biggest epiphany in life through a mug in a bookstore (3:25).
- Memories from childhood and growing up that drove me to be cautious and not want to be seen (5:25).
- How self-reflection, investing in self-growth and being real to myself changed me and led me to where I am today (8:17).
- The butterflies’ literal and metaphorical life cycle starting from birth / being eggs (12:34).
- Why caterpillars need to eat, grow and shed, and what these 3 key biological functions represent in the human experience (12:53).
- The importance of finding a secure spot to grow during the cocoon stage, and how personal growth events and coaching provide this sense of security (17:01).
- How the caterpillar knows and realizes that it’s time to go into the cocoon (18:09).
- The process of metamorphosis where caterpillars go through a physical transformation to becoming butterflies, and how this change is manifested in people (20:40).
- What are tell-tale signs signifying that a person is afraid of growth (24:12).
- My modern parable of the dead caterpillars (25:16).
We are all caterpillars, and we might not know we’re meant to become butterflies – to be so much more than we are. We go through life not knowing what’s in store for us, but it is up to us to listen to our hearts and our instincts and be ready for growth when the signals are prompting you.
I want to hear from you. Which part of the butterfly life cycle are you in? What are you taking action on now? Send me an email at email@example.com or share your feedback in the comments section.
You can find the show on iTunes, Soundcloud, Stitcher, GooglePlay, and Podbean. You can also subscribe to the podcast via Patreon and receive bonus content, first dibs to episodes, discounts, and perks. Remember to leave the podcast a rating and review on the platform you’re listening to. This allows us to reach more people and move up the rankings. If what you listened to today has been useful for you, feel free to share it with other too.
Thank you for taking the time to listen, and I appreciate all your support. Until next time!
I love butterflies. I love what they represent – growth & transformation. Anytime I see anything butterfly related I stop and take notice. Below are some of my favorite butterfly quotes.
“May the wings of the butterfly kiss the sun
And find your shoulder to light on,
To bring you luck, happiness and riches
Today, tomorrow and beyond.”
~ Irish Blessing
“Happiness is a butterfly, which when pursued, is always just beyond your grasp, but which, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you. ” ~ Nathaniel Hawthorne
“There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it’s going to be a butterfly.” ~ Richard Buckminster Fuller
“I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man.” ~ Chuang Tzu
“The fluttering of a butterfly’s wings can effect climate changes on the other side of the planet.” ~ Paul Erlich
“Everyone is like a butterfly, they start out ugly and awkward and then morph into beautiful graceful butterflies that everyone loves.” ~ Drew Barrymore
“Life is like a butterfly. You can chase it or you can let it come to you.” ~ Ruth Brown
“You can only fly once you are willing to give up the safety of your cocoon.” ~ Connie Lynne
“Just when the caterpillar thought it’s world was over it became a butterfly.” ~ Unknown
“It’s okay to be a caterpillar. Caterpillars have a specific purpose, but the destiny of a caterpillar is always to become a butterfly.” ~ Charlene Dior
Change your perspective change your life.
What do you see? A butterfly? A man? A woman? A vase? All of the above? Sometimes all we need is a change of perspective to see transformation in our lives.
It’s so easy to get laser focused on one aspect of our life or a situation and stay there. We might be struggling with a problem and unable to see a way out. I’m sure you’ve been there before. It’s also called being stuck. I’ve been stuck before too. I’ve been stuck in an unfulfilling job. I’ve been stuck in a bad relationship. I’ve been stuck in a bad partnership. Being stuck sucks.
When people are stuck they’re often praying for a miracle. In the praying for a miracle they forget to be the miracle. Be a miracle for yourself by looking at your situation differently. Sometimes all that is needed is a step back from the situation at hand and a new angle. Sometimes we’re so focused on what isn’t right that we neglect what is right. We dwell on the problem and neglect the solution. Forcing yourself to see something or someone differently can often lead you to a solution.
You can look at any situation from different angles to get a different perspective. Seeing something in a new light just might be the transformation you’ve been looking for.