How To Build Your Dream Life
I just returned from 3 awesome days of building my dream life at Mary Morrissey‘s DreamBuilder Live. The amazing thing is that two months ago I had no idea of who Mary Morrissey was. I had never heard of her even though she’s been in the personal growth space for decades. It must be true – when the student is ready, the teacher will appear! Mary trained under Jack Boland, the same man who mentored Wayne Dyer and Les Brown (who I’m going to see tomorrow)!
I’m a big advocate of personal growth events. Read about my experience at Tony Robbin’s Unleash the Power Within. I believe we should always be growing. I also believe in the power of immersion. You need to be immersed in an environment that is conducive to your growth. That’s why seminars are so valuable. That’s why coaching is so valuable. You are immersed in your current environment that has led you to where you currently are 24/7. When you want to build your dream life you need to be purposeful about removing yourself from that old environment and immersing yourself in a new, growth environment if only for limited spurts at a time. That may be a 3 day event. That may be a 3 month coaching program.
In any event, I wanted to share with you what I’ve learned about building your dream life. This isn’t immersion, but can help you make some immediate shifts.
So how do you build your dream life? Here are some key takeaways:
- Develop a relationship with your vision. Don’t just visit it every now and then. Have a committed relationship with your vision and invest in a lot of quality time with it. Everyday. Mary Morrissey’s son had outgrown his house. He had a two bedroom house with his wife and son when they got pregnant with twin girls. They were living in Mexico at the time and couldn’t get a traditional mortgage. They had no where to go. Mary’s son (his name escapes me) went to the site of their now home every single day even though he had no idea how he could afford to build on that land. Jim Carrey is said to have done something similar before making it big in Hollywood.
- Do what you can, where you are, with what you have. I’ve said this before – There is always something you can do to move your vision forward. What could you DO, where you ARE, with what you HAVE? Right now? Stop waiting on something else. Stop waiting on someone else. Start with what you have.
- Get uncomfortable. Successful people are willing to be uncomfortable for the sake of growth. Goals are for growing, not for getting. Invest in that program even though you have to scrap the money together. Go back to school in the evenings even though you have a full-time job. Walk away from your safety net in order to achieve what means the most to you.
- Order what you really want from life. I loved this segment. Imagine you are going to the finest restaurant in town. You walk in. You are greeted and asked where you want to sit.
- You can sit anywhere in the restaurant. Where do you choose to sit? Right in front of the kitchen with pots and pans rattling the entire time? Next to the restrooms? Or do you choose to sit in a quiet nook overlooking the beautiful skyline? It’s your choice. What’s it going to be? Ask for one of life’s finest tables.
- There are 3 menus you can choose from at the restaurant of life: “Anything Appetizers”, “Mediocre Meals”, or “Courses of Courage”. Courage is how you build your dream. What menu will you order from?
- Who are you sharing a table with? The person who is always late? The bossy person who orders your food for you? Someone loving and enjoyable? Who? These are the choices we all get to make at the restaurant of life. You get whatever it is you order.
- Live from results, not conditions. Don’t make decisions from where you are and what happened in the past. Make decisions from the results you want to create in your life. If you want to be fit you make healthy eating choices even if you are not currently fit. You don’t wait until you lose weight to start eating healthy and exercising. That would be silly! You’d never lose the weight. The same is true for every other area of your life. Live from what you are creating not from what you are experiencing.
- Control your thinking. In order to create a new life you need to create a new paradigm. A paradigm is a set of thought processes and beliefs. Control your thinking. Think thoughts of the person who already has what you are creating. If you want to be rich don’t spend your time thinking about how poor you are and how you can’t afford anything. Think like a rich person thinks. (Don’t spend like a rich person spends though!) 🙂
- Surround yourself with the right people. You need 3 types of people in your life.
- Someone you are ahead of so you can support and mentor them.
- Someone who is at the same place as you for friendship and partnership.
- A Master/Teacher. Someone you can learn from.
- Have vision, structure, and mentorship. You need a grand vision of the dream you want to build. If you can’t see it, you can’t build it. You need structure, a proven process to achieve the vision and you need a mentor to guide you and coach you.
Are you ready to build your dream life? Do you need support and coaching to help you along the way? If so, I invite you to apply for a complimentary Transform Your Life clarity session with me at www.transformwithcharlene.com.